April 5 - Going further afield

PLEASE NOTE: I have not had the chance to watermark all of my photos, and it will take me a great deal of time, as I published this and my other blogs between 2010-2017. I ask you to respect my property. Feel free to use them as long as you credit me as follows: Photo by Jody McBrien, learningtheworld.org. Thank you.


This morning I went with Mitsuhiko to open my bank account. A while later, I had a quick meeting with Kanako, then two other professors, including Victor, who has been my connection for the past year on email. He is so friendly! And almost sounds like an American with his English! Walking back to our guest house, I heard English, so asked the two people where they were from. Carey was from Jamaica and Cameron from London (though here for the past 10 years). They both teach English at Soka. Cameron's office is also in the C Building, so I hope to meet up with both of them again.




The walkway where I met Carey & Cameron



It was a beautiful warm, sunny day. We needed to find a real grocery store and buy a futon for Dick, so we ventured onto a bus to Hachioji center for needed supplies. We watched people swipe bus passes, much like New Zealand. Again, we heard English voices behind us, so I turned and asked about the passes. The young men were from Georgia (originally Maryland, near where Dick is from), and they kindly took us into Hachioji Station and showed us where to get the bus passes. From there we went to Don Quixote's, a kind of Walmart Superstore, where we bought apartment supplies, groceries, and a futon for Dick. That was fun to carry! We had to get a cab back, as we had too much stuff to carry on a bus. So, another busy, tiring day, but we're getting there in getting settled.


Near Hachioji's JR Station

I looked at the weather report and it's pretty bad for the next several days. So we cancelled our trip to Kyoto that would have begun tomorrow. We will go in May when it will not be so crowded. We hope to go into Tokyo and perhaps Kamakura (where my friend Sach lives) while the cherries are still in bloom. Meanwhile, tomorrow, I will go to my office and see what I need to do to set it up, next on the list.

NOTE: July 2018 date on post is republish date, not date of the event.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last day of April

May 23-25: Return to Fuji

First 24 hours at Soka University