Another week in Hachioji

PLEASE NOTE: I have not had the chance to watermark all of my photos, and it will take me a great deal of time, as I published this and my other blogs between 2010-2017. I ask you to respect my property. Feel free to use them as long as you credit me as follows: Photo by Jody McBrien, learningtheworld.org. Thank you.


Week of April 16

After our adventures in Kamakura and near Fuji-san, we've been staying close to "home," and making it more homey. We went to Don Qui's (Don Quixote's - a kind of Japanese Super Walmart, I hate to say) to get an additional pad to put under our futons and some more supportive pillows. Those were fun to bring back on the bus along with groceries!

I have not enjoyed a real springtime in many years, so it has been a joy to watch nature progress. In the short three weeks that we have been here, we have watched trees go from barren to blossoms to green leaves. Though it is sad to see the cherry blossoms depart, Soka seems to understand and have another treat prepared. There are literally thousands to azalea bushes planted on campus, and the  buds are beginning to open. Next week should be amazing.




Remember this tree?


Now it's this tree!

Time changes everything.

My second class went very well. I think I surprise my students. I think I surprise my US students with some of my unconventional videos and topics, so in Japan it is even more so. On Monday I began with two clips from the wonderful film "Rabbit-Proof Fence," about how the Brits would steal "half-caste" Aboriginal children and take them hundreds of miles from their families to teach them how to be servants for white people. It's the same thing that White Americans did to Native Americans; of course, White Americans don't know that history.  The first clip showed the oldest daughter in the film showing signs of becoming a good hunter. I asked my students, Is this education? We were talking about the purpose of education. Of course, it was education and better education than teaching the British stuff like ABCs, as hunting skills were what the people needed to survive. So we talked about cultural needs and education.

I am advising two students on their research about refugees. I have enjoyed meeting with them one on one, but I don't know the protocol for getting them to make additional appointments. The grad student has decided to sit in on my classes, so that is good.

The 18th was our 4th anniversary. We celebrated twice - the 18th in Japan and in the states (19th in Japan). On the 18th here, the university had a special on steak lunch/dinner, so we enjoyed that from the 13th floor of the main building. On the 19th here, we went into Tokyo and got off at Yoyogi Station the see the Meiji Shinto shrine in the city, dedicated to Emperor Meiji and his consort Empress in 1920 (unfortunately, it is under renovation, so mostly covered in plastic!). The woods were a welcome relief from the city. The shrine was destroyed during WW II but rebuilt.


Tori gate to the Meiji Shrine


Barrels of French wine at the shrine


Barrels of sake at the shrine - must be happy monks!


We went on to Yoyogi Park (missed most of the cherry blossoms) and the Oriental Bazaar (we both expected it to be much bigger), getting lost en route but finding a shrine for Dick, a 9-storey Tower Records. 



I had looked up an Indian restaurant near the station, so we enjoyed good Indian food to celebrate. En route back, we walked past Takeshita Street - not a place I would attempt to walk:


Takeshita Street - known for teen fashions - and crowds!


Too many people!

I continue to observe myself in this interesting situation of being in a culture in which I only speak a bit of the language and cannot read it. I find that I really use observation to determine what is appropriate and what is not. People not talking on cell phones on the busses or trains? Then don't do it! Eating while walking? - No. Sadly, what seems to be universal are people with their faces buried in their cell phones wherever they are.

On Friday, Dick and I went into Hachioji to meet up again with our new British friend Marc, whom we met last Sunday in the Sherlock Holmes pub. His wife Yoshimi met up with us, and then we went to their house and ordered Domino's pizza! It is nice to have a couple we can get together with, as the faculty have not been forthcoming in invitations.


Dick, Jim, Jody, Mark, & Yoshimi at the Sherlock Holmes Pub

On Saturday I made my first venture into Tokyo to begin my refugee research at the social agency called Support 21. The place was filled with refugees and tutors mostly working one to one on whatever their specific needs are - language learning, math, exam prep, etc. I got to speak with a board member, director of the learning program, and one of the students. It was great!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last day of April

May 23-25: Return to Fuji

First 24 hours at Soka University