May 11 - Puzzle Pieces

PLEASE NOTE: I have not had the chance to watermark all of my photos, and it will take me a great deal of time, as I published this and my other blogs between 2010-2017. I ask you to respect my property. Feel free to use them as long as you credit me as follows: Photo by Jody McBrien, learningtheworld.org. Thank you.


On Wednesday I traveled back into Tokyo to interview staff at REN, Refugee Empowerment Network, located at Hongo RC Church. I got to speak with the director and two staff teachers along with two refugees, one English-speaking from Liberia, and one French-speaking from Angola. I also had the pleasure of sitting in their Japanese language class where we all had fun together trying to learn Japanese.


Monday-Wednesday were so busy with teaching, meetings and the trip to Tokyo (the transportation alone takes 4 hours round trip between busses, trains, and subways) that I am grateful to have the rest of the week to catch up with my lesson plan, emails to colleagues, and research. I am far busier here than I anticipated, but it is a good busy. I am spending most of my time on research, a luxury academics don't get very often. I'm trying to get more interviews scheduled for June. It is more difficult in Japan because it is very challenging to have anyone respond to a "cold email" (think "cold call"). You typically need an introduction. So it's slow going.

I am also trying to put together the puzzle pieces I have so far. Things aren't completely making sense yet. For instance, Japan is often criticized for not taking in more refugees (the official numbers in recent years are well below 50 annually). And yet, today I was told that if an asylum seeker (whom they call refugees) is unable to get the government agree to refugee status they just re-apply within the next 7 days, over and over. And I've been told, "No, we don't send them back! That could be dangerous for them." So what happens to them? I'm still not sure. In the US, if the court says no, then out you go. So I need to talk with more people, hopefully someone in JAR (Japanese Association for Refugees) or the Japanese Refugee Research Network. I haven't learned much about the children so far either.

While working this morning, the postman rang the doorbell and delivered me a package. Our good friend Suzie said to expect help for our cooking, and that is what arrived - some wonderful spices! THANK YOU, Suzie! Dinner will be better tonight!



And while I'm on a domestic discussion, I REALLY want me one of these for my house:




Americans think of themselves as creative inventors. So why don't American homes have these fabulous toilets with heated seats, gentle noise makers (so no one can hear what you're doing), built-in bidets, and even an extra button for a cleansing of the back end?? They are great!

NOTE: June 2018 date on post is republish date, not date of the event.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last day of April

May 23-25: Return to Fuji

First 24 hours at Soka University