Happy Awakening!

PLEASE NOTE: I have not had the chance to watermark all of my photos, and it will take me a great deal of time, as I published this and my other blogs between 2010-2017. I ask you to respect my property. Feel free to use them as long as you credit me as follows: Photo by Jody McBrien, learningtheworld.org. Thank you.


May 9, 2017

When I turned on my computer this morning over my morning cuppa (tea), I found a wonderful attachment in one of my emails. It begins, "Congratulations on having been granted promotion to Professor at USF Sarasota-Manatee," from USF's President Judy Genshaft. Yay! We will celebrate with dinner out tonight!

Meanwhile, I met this morning with Patrick McClue, an English instructor originally from New Orleans who told me he's lived out of the US for over 20 years. I wonder if you just have to do that when you are young. He invited me to do this year's Global Lecture in June, so we talked about that. He said to expect an audience of about 80. I will be talking about the world refugee crisis.



At 2, I met with a colleague in the Faculty of Education, Victor Kuwahara. He is originally from LA, but he's been at Soka for a number of years. Interestingly, he also just received a promotion to full professor. He helped me to understand a few things I hadn't yet figured out regarding academic processes and contacts as well as some practical things (such as the fact that I can use my bus pass for the trains, too - that is great!) He is such a nice man. I hope that he and his wife will meet up with me and Dick for dinner some time.

Dick and I headed into Hachioji shortly afterwards and found an Italian restaurant that I found recommended on Trip Advisor, Ristorante Civetta. It's just a few minutes' walk from the main train and bus station. GOOD choice. To tempt us, the waitress brought out three live lobsters and a chunk of fresh Japanese beef. It worked. We had surf and turf. We split a lobster - some was marinated in a tangy sauce with a touch of orange, and the rest with in an au gratin sauce. Delicious! Then we went on to a small portion of medium rare beef that was melt in your mouth astounding. Sugoi! as the Japanese would say. Wow! When we saw it raw, it was so marbled with the smallest lines of fat running through it. They all seemed to melt away, just leaving an amazing taste. It was pricey, but so very wonderful, and not too much to eat. We still had a little room, so we ordered cappuccino and I had a small dish of Belgian chocolate; Dick had ice cream. We took pictures with the waiter and said we would return.



Bar and Kitchen at Ristorante Civetta


Pic with our chef


Happy diners!

Grocery shopping after that was quite anticlimactic, but needed. Tomorrow I head back to Tokyo for another interview.

NOTE: June 2018 date on post is republish date, not date of the event.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last day of April

May 23-25: Return to Fuji

First 24 hours at Soka University