Research and Sight-seeing in HK

May 2 - Hong Kong

On Wednesday morning, I met with my colleague Tracey here at the hotel, and we did some preliminary work discussing themes of the research project she is leading, a comparative analysis of global education in Hong Kong, Singapore, and the US. Several times she mentioned her concern about taking my time. I responded that it is a real pleasure to get to work with someone and discuss research together! I work in a vacuum too much - none of my USFSM colleagues are really interested in my work, so I can't team up with them. I'm not the world's greatest crowd and party person (an understatement!), but I love having someone to discuss my work with. It just doesn't happen, so I don't talk much. So this is a genuine joy for me.

After working, we got Dick to join us, and we took the subway to an area in HK with lots of small restaurants. We picked the Metropolitain Bistro, a small French cafe where Tracey knew the manager. The food was delicious and plentiful! I was stuffed on my Croque Monsieur. Dick had seared tuna that he said was the best he'd ever had. Tracey had the duck confit.

After, we wandered down a streets of large banyans with their exposed roots attached to walls. I don't know how they survive.




We stopped at a small temple (Mo Man Buddhist Temple),



then went onto a street lined with shop after shop of all kinds of keepsakes and souvenirs. Dick got a couple Bruce Lee things (a poster and playing cards). I found a frig magnet and a wooden stand designed to hold calligraphy brushes that Tracey said she uses for hanging her necklaces.

We parted, and Dick and I took a rest before heading out again for some sight-seeing by night and dinner. Instead of waiting in line for over an hour to take the famous tram up to "the Peak," we grabbed a cab and flew up the winding narrow road to the top of Mt. Victoria for the view.

And what a view it was! We arrived around dusk and patiently waded through the throngs of people pressing their way to the front for photos without hundreds of heads in them. By dark, we both managed a spot in the front for amazing views of the city lights.


Yes, there is smog!


Skyscrapers and the harbor




Note the ferris wheel


 We also got a couple photos taken of ourselves:



After that, we found a wonderful restaurant outside of the two large buildings filled with stores, places to eat, and people. The Peak Outlook was between the two main mall buildings, and it was lit with small white strings of light. We chose to sit outside on the terrace where the banyan tree was lit. It was peaceful and romantic. Dinner was good, but I mostly enjoyed the ambiance and  quiet.

Full day, and time for sleep!

NOTE: June 2018 date on post is republish date, not date of the event.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last day of April

May 23-25: Return to Fuji

First 24 hours at Soka University